Monday, January 24, 2011

Melissa Ford--Life From Scratch

So it's been nearly a year since I last blogged. This was not my intention. For those who may or may not know me, I made a huge life change in August. I left my job of four years in Oregon and moved to New York City. Why New York City? Why not New York City! I have always dreamed of living here my entire life and knew that, as the great sage, Hillel says, "If not now, when?" So here I am, five months later, living in the tiniest studio I have ever lived in my life and loving it! So it is fitting that my first book back is a review of a book set in NYC!

I loved this book! I received Life from Scratch as an Early Review book and could not put it down. It's a relatively slim book (although in actuality is 208 pages) about a woman who is recently divorced in New York. She talks about her teeny tiny kitchen in her teeny tiny studio and how she was always from a family that ordered in. After her divorce, she decided to start cooking and took all her cooking supplies that she got as wedding presents and started cooking as well as dating again.

I think this book was especially poignant to me for a few reasons: the first is now having lived in NYC for nearly 5 months, I recognized so many of the places that she was referencing and could actually say that I was familiar with them, or at least their subway stops! Secondly, the title character was a nice Jewish girl named Rachel, which, wait, so am I! Finally, the struggle of cooking in a tiny studio apartment. While I actually think my studio is smaller than her as she had room for a bed AND a couch and I only have room for a futon as both, it is a struggle to cook in such a limited amount of space and to not be able to invite people to enjoy it. My hope is that my next apartment in NYC will be slightly larger, even just bigger enough to put some screens up to separate my eating from sleeping areas!

All in all, I highly recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment